During the holidays, the temptation for sweets and unhealthy foods is everywhere. For seniors that must adhere to a strict diet plan because of an age related illness or condition, this time of year can be especially frustrating for finding something healthy and delicious to eat on the holiday table. If you provide home care in Fairfield, CT for an aging parent or loved one or are hosting your family’s holiday celebrations, the following are some healthy alternatives that are just as delicious as some of the season’s classic dishes.
- Yogurt Dips – A holiday meal always kicks off with an appetizer or spread. Replace a regular full-fat dips with alternative yogurt dips, which have the same texture and pack just as much flavor and even more protein than their unhealthy counterparts. Pair with fresh vegetables and enjoy a healthy pre-dinner snack.
- Lean Meats – Chicken, turkey, and fish are the healthiest meats available during the holidays. Seniors should avoid red meats and opt for lean meats. Stick to the white meat, turkey breast, while avoiding the darker portions. Compared to turkey breast, the dark meat has about twice the fat and 40% more calories.
- Whole Grain Stuffing – Instead of unhealthy store-bought stuffing, homemade stuffing can be made with whole-grain bread and low-sodium broth, cutting out a lot of sugar and salt.
- Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes – A holiday meal isn’t complete without a starchy potato. Instead of classic potatoes, try oven-roasted sweet potatoes brushed with canola or olive oil. These are also a great alternative to the popular candied yams as they offer a sweet and savory flavor.
- Turkey Gravy – Use fat-free turkey broth as an alternative in the traditional Thanksgiving gravy recipe. Separate and remove the fat if you want to use drippings from the turkey to prepare the gravy.
- Cranberry Relish – Making cranberry relish is a much healthier option compared to cranberry sauce. Homemade cranberry relish will cut out a large amount of unnecessary sugar and calories.
Concerned that the holidays may make it difficult to provide quality care for your aging loved one? Worry not, Home Care Assistance of Fairfield is here to help. During the busy holiday season, we encourage family caregivers to take advantage of our highly trained caregivers who provide live-in and hourly home care in Fairfield. With their help you can attend to some of your other holiday responsibilities and take a break while knowing that your aging loved one is in professional and caring hands.
To request more information about the caregivers or care services from Home Care Assistance of Fairfield, reach out to a friendly Care Manager at 203-955-1915.