As the allergy season approaches, consumers reach for the latest antihistamine on the market in order to find relief. Yet, over-the-counter options and prescription medications are not without side effects, especially for older adults who take multiple medications.
If you provide home care for an aging parent or loved one, there are other options outside of medications. Researchers have discovered that some natural remedies for allergies may be just as powerful as their commercially prepared counterparts.
- Butterbur – A study in Great Britain revealed that taking a recommended dose of four butterbur tablets per day effectively relieved hay fever symptoms. The active ingredient, petasin, is thought to work by blocking the body’s leukotrienes and histamines that spiral out of control when they meet up with allergens that elicit sensitivity.
- Probiotics – Evidence has suggested that an imbalance of the right types of bacteria in the intestines may lead to allergies. Correcting the balance by eating yogurt and other foods with live cultures may help to reduce or eliminate histamine reactions.
- Stinging Nettle – Stinging nettle has been shown to actively reduce reactions when people are exposed to allergens. It can be consumed in soups and teas or taken in capsule form. Proponents of stinging nettle to relieve hayfever symptoms recommend taking the supplement well before the season starts.
- Grape Seed Extract – In addition to exhibiting an antihistamine effect in the body, grape seed extract also works to decrease swelling. Its anti-inflammatory capabilities help reduce the appearance of redness, itchiness and the over-production of mucous.
- Local Honey – Many people insist that ingesting honey that is produced by local bees is a natural remedy for allergies. The mechanism of action appears to be similar to that of a traditional injection that works to eliminate reactions by exposing sufferers to small doses of the offending substances which, in turn, builds tolerance.
As with any new treatment option, it’s best to consult with your loved one’s doctor or physician first. He or she will be able to help determine which natural remedy is right for your loved one, while also making sure that it doesn’t interfere with any current medications.
For more information about senior health or caring for an aging parent or loved one, reach out to Home Care Assistance of Fairfield today. We are a trusted provider of senior care, with highly trained caregivers available for hourly and live-in home care in Fairfield and the surrounding communities. To request your free, no-obligation consultation, call 203-955-1915 and speak with an experienced and friendly Care Manager.