Despite the name, home medical equipment isn’t necessarily for seniors who require medical care. Home medical equipment consists of products and assistive aids that can make daily living easier and safer for older adults. Along with personally helping your loved one or hiring a professional caregiver for your loved one, you can offer physical support by obtaining home medical equipment which can include a:
- Manual or power wheelchair
- Walker, cane, or crutches
- Scooter also termed power-operated vehicle (POV)
- Patient lift or seat lift
- Semi-electric hospital bed
- Over-the-bed trapeze
- Oxygen equipment
- CPAP & BiPAP therapy
Paying for Home Medical Equipment
While seniors and their families can pay out-of-pocket for home medical equipment at local stores and online retailers, Medicare Part B will pay for any of the above equipment if the following are submitted:
- Dispensing Order by the Treating Physician which includes the beneficiary’s full name, a description of the item needed, order date, and physician signature and date
- Detailed Written Order (DWO) or Certificate of Medical Necessity (CMN) which includes beneficiary’s full name, detailed description of the item and accessories, ICD-9-CM diagnosis code, start date of the order, length of need, and physician signature and date
Note – Medicare coverage stops at the bathroom door. It does not pay for bathroom safety items such as a shower chair, transfer bench, grab bars, or raised toilet seat.
Obtaining Home Medical Equipment
If your loved one is living with a physical disability or is incapable of performing certain activities and would benefit from any of the aforementioned products, schedule an appointment with his or her physician. A medical professional will be able to provide information on the most beneficial products for your loved one’s needs and may also be able to assist you with the documents need for Medicare Part B payment.
For more information about keeping your senior loved one safe at home, visit our website at www.homecareassistancefairfield.com and learn more about our trained in-home caregivers and comprehensive care services. Fairfield Home Care Assistance is a trusted, local provider of senior home care with a commitment to keep seniors safe, happy, and healthy in the comfort of home. If you would like to schedule a complimentary, no-obligation consultation, call us today at (203) 439-5780.