The University of Rochester Medical Center in New York reports that seniors who maintain regular social interaction with age enjoy lower blood pressure, decreased risk for depression and a reduced risk for Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis and even some cancers. With so many benefits, it’s easy to see why the caregivers from Home Care Assistance of Fairfield always strive to maintain social relationships with their clients!
As a leading provider of Fairfield senior care, we know that social interaction is even more helpful if a senior can get out of the house. This helps to expand a senior’s sense of community. In Fairfield County, there are several fabulous senior centers that offer a range of activities. Below we highlight some for you to explore.
Fairfield Senior Center
Address – 100 Mona Terrace, Fairfield
Hours – Monday-Friday, 9:00-3:30
Telephone – 203-256-3166
The Fairfield Senior Center is a vibrant community providing a full calendar of activities:
- Exercise – Classes are offered in yoga, tai chi, zumba and arthritis. The center also has a walking club where seniors can get together in walking groups and explore the local community.
- Games – Seniors and older adults can enjoy daily and weekly organized events and games such as bingo, bridge, chess, bunco and scrabble. Not only can these games provide seniors with mental stimulation, they provide the opportunity to socialize with peers.
- Other – The Fairfield Senior Center also offers reading groups, computer classess and a weekly recent movie release on Fridays.
The Fairfield senior center shares the Home Care Assistance vision of promoting quality of life for seniors. They offer monthly blood pressure checks and health screenings and even offer income tax assistance and provide information on social security and Medicare issues.
Westport Senior Center
Address – 21 Imperial Avenue, Westport
Hours – 8:30 – 4:30, Thursdays 8:00 – 8:30 and Saturday 8:30 – Noon
Telephone – 203-341-5099
The Westport Senior Center provides a number of activities including:
- Exercise – Classes are offered to promote senior wellness and include various levels of yoga, pilates, Qugong, chair aerobics, Thai Chi, and ballroom and Latin dancing. There are even Parkinson’s fitness classes designed specifically for those with the condition, working on balance and weight-bearing exercise.
- Games – There are many recreational games that take place on a weekly basis including learning and playing Bridge, table tennis, poker, bingo and mah-jogg.
- Other – The Westport senior center offers a wide range of socials and events for seniors in the community. From painting classes and origami workshops to culinary classes and monthly socials, the senior center’s 20 page monthly calendar is always packed with events for individuals of all interests and abilities.
One of the greatest offerings of the Westport Senior Center are the wellness lectures which range on a variety of topics from how to write an ethical will to living well with diabetes. Trusted doctors and medical professionals speak to a variety of senior living topics and also offer regular hearing screenings for seniors.
Milford Senior Center
Address – 9 Jepson Drive, Milford
Hours – Monday-Friday, 9:00-4:30; Sunday, Noon-4:00
Telephone – 203-877-5131
The Milford Senior Center welcomes adults 55 and over and offers:
- Exercise – Seniors can get their exercise with ballroom aerobics, “Stretch, Strengthen, and Stabilize” classes, line-dancing, Tai Chi, tap dance, yoga, and special osteoporosis prevention exercise programs.
- Games – Games offered at the center include bingo, billiards, bridge, mah-jongg, pickle ball, and Scrabble.
- Other – There are a number of activities to enjoy such as arts and crafts, ceramics, knitting, pool, and movies. The Center also has a number of senior groups including the Model Railroad Group, Quilting Group, Writers Group, Beading Group, and Book Club.
The Milford Senior Center is unique in that it offers a number of support groups and programs for seniors facing new challenges. The first is a low-vision support group that meets monthly, and is a great way for seniors to share their experiences, gain advice and meet people with similar challenges. The Aherns Program is another unique feature of this senior center, which offers nutritional, educational and recreational activities for adults with cognitive impairment. Last, but not least, there is an Insurance Assistance Program, which provides help with Medicare, Title 19, ConnPACE, and other insurances.
Easton Senior Center
Address – 650 Morehouse Road, Easton
Hours – Monday-Friday, 7:30-3:30
Telephone – 203-268-1145
The Easton Senior Center welcomes people of all ages. It also offers programs specifically designed for retirees, seniors, and physically challenged adults.
- Exercise – Classes are offered in yoga, Tai Chi, low-impact exercise, balance, and stretching.
- Games – Games offered are Bunco, Mexican Dominoes, Duplicate Bridge, Scrabble, Canasta, and Mah-Jongg.
- Other – People gather to do charity quilting, knitting, and weaving. Instruction is also given in crafts, watercolor painting, figure drawing, stamping, jewelry-making, and cooking. Entertainment is provided in the form of concerts and history presentations.
Health services offered are hearing tests, blood pressure checks, wellness checks, glucose testing, cholesterol monitoring, mammography, stroke screening, and flu shots. The Easton Senior Center also has a Low Vision Center where visually impaired and physically challenged individuals can loan the following for free: large-text computers, Optelec readers, magnifiers, Braille books, and books on tape. Also available are large-print playing cards, jigsaw puzzles, games, and books.
Seminars are given on tax and estate planning, and a municipal agent is available to provide information on local, state, and federal programs, such Medicare, Medigap Insurance, Medicare Part D prescription drug plans, Medicare savings programs, tax relief programs, veterans benefits, emergency response systems, and fuel assistance.
Encourage your aging parent or loved one to maintain social connections and try one of the programs at the above Fairfield County senior centers. If he or she needs transportation, is interested in accompaniment or would like to perform one of the above activities in the comfort of his or her own home, reach out to Home Care Assistance of Fairfield today and learn more about our hourly and live-in care plans for seniors. Simply dial 203-955-1915 and schedule a complimentary, no-obligation consultation.