Careful monitoring plays an important role in identifying changes in senior health at a point where treatment is more likely to be effective. In addition to scheduling regular doctor visits, seniors can play a role in tracking important health stats by taking advantage of these easy-to-use smartphone apps, recommended by Westport Home Care Assistance.
Diet and Nutrition
• Fooducate (Free: Android, iPhone) – This app allows seniors to bring up nutritional information for various food items via barcode while also helping make sense of such data. It’s a great companion to take along while grocery shopping.
• Calorie Counter Pro ($3.99: Android, iPhone) – Seniors will appreciate this all-in-one app that acts as a nutrition log, exercise tracker, and food scanner. It also has a diet and weight-loss planning feature.
• MyFitnessPal (Free: Android, iPhone) – A recipe calculator allows seniors to check calories when preparing meals at home in addition to scanning barcodes when shopping. It also has an exercise-tracking feature and allows users to sync accounts from myfitnesspal.com.
Diabetes and High Blood Pressure
• Diabetes Logbook (Free: Android, iPhone) – An easy-to-read, color-coded screen allows seniors to track sugar levels while also receiving suggestions for healthy eating choices.
• Diabetes Tracker ($9.99: iPhone) – For seniors wanting to sort through all the information they often receive about diabetes, this app offers easy navigation coupled with a handy calorie-counting feature.
• Pocket Yoga ($2.99: Android, iPhone) – Seniors can view step-by-step instructions on various yoga poses and positions based on their physical ability. There are nearly 30 sessions of varying lengths.
• Fitbit (Free: Android, iPhone) – All movements, physical activity, and diet and sleep habits can be tracked with this all-in-one app. Diet and fitness data can be conveniently synced to a computer or table for easier viewing and interpretation.
• WebMD Symptom Checker (Free: iPhone) – Seniors can use this handy app as a quick reference for symptoms or as a source for more information on their conditions. Illustrations and easy-to-read text allow for a better understanding of presented information.
Interested in learning more about promoting senior health and wellness? Home Care Assistance can help. Although we are known for our dementia and Alzheimer’s care Fairfield families trust, we also offer live-in and flexible hourly care for seniors who need minimal help with running errands, cooking healthy meals, and regular physical activity. Call us today at 203-955-1915 and learn more about how our care services can help your aging loved one maintain an optimal level of wellbeing.