Emergency preparedness is important for dealing with accidents, slips and falls, injuries, and medical situations. This is especially vital for senior citizens and their caregivers. Preparing a thorough checklist of important items will save caregivers the time it takes to search for them in the rush for emergency care.
Important items or documents that hourly or live-in caregivers need to bring in case of an emergency with their senior loved one are:
- Photo ID and social security card or number
- Insurance cards, including any supplemental insurance
- List of prescription and over-the-counter medications, including supplements
- List of known allergies
- Physicians’ names, specialties, and contact number
- Contact information for family, friends, and/or power of attorney
- Living will and health care proxy
- Basic financial assets, including financial advisor or bank representative
- Bag of toiletries should the senior be admitted into the hospital
- Change of clothes
Caregivers in Fairfield can never be too prepared for a medical emergency. A prepared checklist and packet of important materials ensures that caregivers have all the information, items, and documents in one place ready to go should a medical emergency arise.
If your loved one experiences an emergency and needs immediate home care in Fairfield or help transitioning home after a hospital stay, turn to Home Care Assistance. We offer hourly and live-in care, and our caregivers can help with everything from grocery shopping and light housework to personal grooming and emotional support. Call a trusted Care Manager today at 203-955-1915 to schedule a free in-home consultation.